Kevin Jordan’s practice is broad and deep, but there is one common theme that runs through his extensive career – trials. Lots of trials. He has tried cases, representing both plaintiffs and defendants, in states all across the country, from California to New Jersey and from Massachusetts to Mississippi, often appearing in the most challenging of venues.
Clients turn to Kevin because he is a problem solver. Whether they are calling him to step in on the eve of a pending trial or seeking his advice in order to avoid litigation, they rely on his trial experience and his intellectual firepower to resolve matters strategically and efficiently.
His background in engineering gives him an unparalleled advantage when it comes to representing clients in the chemical and oil & gas industries, especially when the cases involve commercial issues, trade secrets, or technology.
Clients first. That’s the simple but powerful ethos on which Kevin has built his practice. His relationships run deep because he puts the clients’ business interests first; he tells them what they need to know rather than what they want to hear and he is always there for his clients.
Kevin is a quick study and applies a surgical approach to litigation, identifying the essential questions and elements of a case to focus resources effectively. That is why it’s no surprise that Kevin is a nationally recognized first-chair trial lawyer whose Fortune 500 clients call him first when faced with important legal matters.
Tulane University Law School, J.D., May 1988
Honors and Activities: Magna Cum Laude; Order of the Coif; Administrative Justice Tulane Moot Court.
Texas A&M University, B.S., Civil Engineering December 1984
Baker Botts, LLP—Partner 2005-2018; Associate 1988-1994
Sheldon, Jordan & Dunham LLP—Partner 1994—2005
Trade secrets, non-compete, executive compensation and shareholder litigation:
Trade Secrets/Non-compete/Shareholder Litigation
- Represented plaintiff in theft of trade secrets, breach of covenant not to compete, and business disparagement case related to precision extrusion dies.
- Represented defendant in theft of trade secret case related to environmental clean-up industry.
- Represented defendant in defamation and theft of trade-secrets counter claim regarding formulation of various paint compounds.
Breach of Contract
- Represented defendant insurance company in breach of contract and tortious interference with contract claim brought by insurance agents.
- Represented corporation and employee in non-compete claims related to computer services.
- Represented plaintiff corporation in non-compete claims against former employee that lead to an agreed permanent injunction against defendant.
- Represented defendant in claims by former officers and board members regarding golden parachutes resulting from change in control of company and non-compete agreements.
- Represented limited partners in breach of contract, tortious interference, and breach of fiduciary duty claims against general partner.
- Represented executives regarding breach of employment contracts.
Oil & Gas and Energy Related Litigation
- Represented contract operator in lawsuit filed by working interest owners related to joint operating agreement.
- Represented landowner in trespass case related to second-line rights for a gas transmission pipeline.
- Represented owner in claims related to breach of contract related to drilling an injection well.
- Represented owner in litigation related to construction contract associated with a turn-around.
- Represented chemical company owner in relation to numerous construction claims both in arbitration and in court associated with a $1.5 billion expansion project. Representation included claims related to lump-sum and cost-plus contracts.
- Represented owner in claims related to construction of co-generation plant.
- Represented owner in arbitration related to a cost overrun on a paper machine rebuild cost plus contract.
- Trial counsel for in eminent domain action related to the value of a liquid gas plant.
- Represented Foundation and Board member in litigation concerning administration of estate as well as declaratory judgment filed against heirs.
- Represented administratrix of estate concerning claims by heirs related to distribution under will.
- Represented oil and gas company in legal malpractice claim regarding construction of title opinions.
- Represented numerous plaintiffs in medical malpractice claims against doctors and hospitals including multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements.
- Represented insurer in first party claims as well as insureds in third party claims throughout Texas.
- Represented offshore operator in constitutional challenge to personal property tax.
Admiralty and Maritime
- Represented plaintiff ship owner in a claim arising out of a collision in the Houston Ship Channel.
- Represented defendant shipyard in breach of contract claim concerning construction of numerous offshore drilling rigs.
- Represented defendant contractor in indemnity issues related to Jones Act claim.
- Represented plaintiff Port in damages case resulting from allision.
- Represented defendant in commercial dispute related to construction of offshore drilling rigs.
- Represented offshore drilling rig fabricator in numerous personal injury claims brought under the Longshore Harbor Worker’s Compensation Act.
- Represented defendants in product liability and premises liability cases involving various substances and products as trial counsel in cases pending around the country.
- Represented electrical switch-gear manufacturer in product liability case.
- Represented drug company in product liability claim related to its Ensure product.
- Tried to jury verdict employment cases involving discrimination involving race, gender, disability and sexual harassment.
“Stowers Demands, Responses, and Related Considerations,” Advanced Insurance Seminar, University of Houston Law Center, Houston, 2003
“The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Considerations in a Stowers Action,” Advanced Insurance Seminar, University of Houston Law Center, Houston, 2002
“Reservations of Rights: The Insured’s Response,” Insurance Law Seminar, University of Houston Law Center, Houston, 1999
Kevin’s professional success has been recognized by his peers and he his clients. His honors and awards include:
Texas Super Lawyer (Thomson Reuters) 2003, 2010-2019
American Board of Trial Advocates
Licensed to practice law in Texas, California, Louisiana, Massachusetts and Mississippi; United States District Courts for the Eastern, Southern, Northern and Western District of Texas; the Eastern District of Louisiana and the Northern District of California.
Board Certified Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Board Certified Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization