Amir Halevy brings unparalleled experience to his role at Jordan, Lynch & Cancienne. After serving for 16 years on the faculty of Baylor College of Medicine, Amir earned his law degree and now leverages a deep knowledge of both the law and medicine to enable him to develop and implement highly effective trial strategies.
Amir’s dual background in medicine and law helps him represent clients in complex litigation across multiple forums. Amir’s first career was as a physician and researcher at Baylor College of Medicine, where he was a tenured faculty member in the Department of Medicine and the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy, as well as the Director of Internal Medicine Training Programs. With a distinguished track record of leadership and achievement across clinical, academic, and professional service environments, Amir now focuses his energy on trial-focused litigation.
As an attorney, Amir has identified and developed medical and scientific defenses for products liability litigation involving both pharmaceuticals and chemicals, as well as identified and developed defense expertise and strategies to neutralize opposing experts. Amir is an invaluable resource when it comes to disputes involving medical and scientific issues, and it is the same ambition and drive that made him so successful in the medical field that fuels his success at JLC. Whether it’s working up a case, handling depositions or filing a Daubert Challenge, Amir’s scientific expertise and tenacity make him a powerful part of the JLC trial team.
Beyond his deep expertise with medical and scientific matters, Amir is adept at general commercial litigation cases including theft of trade secrets, breach of contract, and tortious interference. Prior to joining JLC, Amir was an Associate in the Trial Section at Baker Botts LLP. Amir was drawn to JLC by the drive of his colleagues, their trial-focused practice and their steadfast commitment to their clients.
University of Houston Law Center, J.D., May 2008
Honors and Activities: Magna Cum Laude; Order of the Coif; Order of the Barons; National Order of the Scribes; Notes and Comments Editor, Houston Law Review
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, M.D. with Honors, May 1987
Honors and Activities: President’s Scholar; Alpha Omega Alpha
The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, B.A. with Honors, May 1983
Honors and Activities: Phi Beta Kappa; National Merit Scholar
Baker Botts LLP
- Represented chemical companies in products liability litigation involving asbestos, benzene and other alleged carcinogens.
- Represented multiple pharmaceutical companies in federal and state court litigation related to products liability claims of multiple drugs.
- Represented chemical companies in premises liability claims involving asbestos and various chemicals.
- Represented energy companies in theft of trade secrets investigations and litigation in several jurisdictions.
Breach of Contract
- Represented international pharmaceutical company in international arbitration related to allegations of breach of contract regarding development of a drug compound.
- Represented international pharmaceutical company in state court litigation related to allegations of tortious interference with the development of a drug compound.
- Counseled pharmaceutical companies regarding compliance with FDA and state level drug regulation.
- Counseled pharmaceutical companies regarding off-label marketing issues and Corporate Integrity Agreements.
- Counseled pharmaceutical company regarding medical device design.
Travis Sales, Kevin Jacobs, and Amir Halevy, FDA and Potential New Rules for Labeling of Generic Drugs, Pharmaceutical Compliance Monitor, Oct. 2013.
Amir Halevy, Medical Futility, Patient Autonomy, and Professional Integrity: Finding the Appropriate Balance, Health Matrix, 2009;18:261-289
Amir Halevy and Amy McGuire, The History, Successes and Controversies of the Texas “Futility” Policy, Houston Lawyer, 2006; 43:38-9.
Multiple medical ethics and health policy publications in the medical literature.
Member of the State Bar of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Active Texas medical license
Board of Trustees for Congregation Brith Shalom. Former member of the Board of Directors of the Texas Lyceum, Houston Area Women’s Center, Interfaith Ministries of Greater Houston, and the Houston Bioethics Network